Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Wicked Samurai (Kwaidan)


A full page image from book I "Reminisce."


I am working on a few one-issue stories right now for Wicked Samurai. Trying to train my "comic muscle" to create an interesting story in just 22 pages. I am finding out just how difficult it can be to create an interesting tale with the limitation of that page count. Either not enough space or the story is swimming with way too many pages. It's important to me to do this exercise a few times; not only to flesh out the main character of the story, but to also work within the accepted confines of a standard comic book format.


Regarding where I am getting some story ideas right now, I have looked no further than two books I have that were written by Lafcadio Hearn ("Kwaidan" and "In Ghostly Japan"). Lafcadio, a westerner whom spent the last 20 years or so of his life as a resident in Japan, was one of the first writers to bring Japanese folklore to the rest of the world. He got most of his material from books that he obtained in Japan during the late 19th century, and re-wrote them into stories for a western audience. So perhaps it's appropriate that I have farmed a few goodies from his book to now translate into comics. I'm certainly not the first, assuming some of you are familiar with Mignola's famous "Heads" story from Hellboy. but anyway, check out Lafcadio on Wiki, and buy some of his books too.

No comments: